How fabulous would it be if life were a musical? This has always been a not-so-secret dream of mine. But maybe I should keep it a secret. People tend to cock their heads sideways and raise their eyebrows when I mention it, but I just can’t help it!
My dream is to walk down the street and suddenly bust out into song. Maybe I’m sad, maybe I’m overjoyed. Who knows? I start singing the first verse and everyone around me continues doing what they’re doing, not even noticing the singing girl. Then the chorus starts and suddenly everyone joins in. They all know the words and we dance and sing in the street in perfect harmony. I’m thrown into the air and I dance on top of a statue as crowds swirl around me. I start the next verse and have a full chorus of back-up singers. The chorus comes again, then the song fades dramatically and ends. Everyone returns to their lives as if nothing happened. How cool would that be? Seriously.
I watched Mamma Mia! last night fully expecting to be disappointed. The last good musical that’s been made was Newsies and since then I haven’t seen anything good. Mamma Mia! was fantastic. It was about a young girl who was about to be married and wanted more than anything to have her father walk her down the aisle. The only problem was she didn’t know who her father was. She read her mother’s diary and found three possible fathers and sent them invitations. The whole movie was full of singing and dancing, laughter and tears, just as a musical should be. The best part of the film, in my opinion, was towards the end when one of the mother’s best friends began to sing “Take a Chance on Me”. It was a movie I could watch over and over.
As I stepped out of my car this morning in front of the Shopette, I contemplated allowing a few musical lyrics to escape my lips to see what would happen. I began to hum softly as I opened the door to the store. Then I thought better of it and made my purchases in silence. One of these days, maybe, I’ll work up the courage to begin singing a song in a completely random place just to see what would happen. Maybe. But only if I’m in a location where absolutely no one knows me and I am one hundred per cent sure I will never see any of them again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment