I've driven past several accident scenes, but I'd never seen one happen until today. We were driving along 530, heading back to base from Joe's dental follow-up (he had his wisdom teeth removed Friday, poor thing). The roads here in New Jersey can be summed up in one word: Crazy. One minute you're driving down a road with just one lane on each side, next thing you know, you're driving on a four-lane highway. The drivers here in New Jersey can be summed up in one word: Stupid.
There we were, just driving back, talking about random stuff like we usually do. My foot slammed on the brake as I saw a blue ball of flame shoot out of the top of a utility pole. A man jumped out of a blue SUV that appeared to be holding the pole up and he opened the back door. A dog hopped out into the street. A woman climbed out of the passenger side and opened the door behind her. She pulled out a baby seat and the family ran across the street as the top of the pole continued to spark. When we saw that the people were safe, I shifted into reverse and backed far away from the power lines that circled around my car like a death trap, as Joe called 911.
A white delivery truck just in front of us backed up and parked in the grass then got out of his car. He got out and the man from the SUV ran over and started waving his arms around, yelling and screaming.
I'm guessing that the accident was the truck driver's fault. He must have somehow run the SUV off the road. My husband said he saw the SUV hit the pole. All I saw was the spark. It seems like the truck driver was trying to pass someone in a no-passing zone and didn't get over to the right in time, so the SUV driver had to swerve off the road.
I was terrified when I saw the giant blue sparks and I thought for sure that the utility pole was going to crash down on the SUV. I was really surprised that the pole leaned that way, towards the car, instead of in the opposite way. I guess it's from the angle in which he hit it. The driver of the SUV kept going back into the vehicle just to grab stuff. My husband and I shook our heads and kept saying, "Why does he keep going back in there?" I'm pretty sure the last place I'd want to be is in a vehicle holding up a pole holding up a bunch of live wires. I'm so glad that the family made it out safely. My heart was pounding so hard, especially when I saw the woman carrying the baby.
I just don't understand why people feel the need to get to places so fast that they put their lives and the lives of others in danger. It's really not worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment